Monday, February 10, 2014

Toddler Boy 101




Everyone tells you, the moment you find out you're pregnant... "Oh just wait until he/she is 2, that's when the fun begins." *Insert Smirks* Sadly, they are right. You remember every single step and milestone, counting teeth, and rocking to sleep. At 2, our little monkey no longer wanted to be rocked. He didn't want to do anything like a "baby". Suddenly, he was a toddler. It seemed like overnight. Where did our baby go?

I'll tell you where. He turned into a defiant, handsome, muddy, ornery toddler. Still, sweet as can be, don't get me wrong.. but challenging. More challenging than all nighters with a colic baby, formula runs at 3am, dirty diaper changes, challenging. Some days seemed like an eternity until bedtime. Other days, I reminded myself many times that this parenting "job" is like any other in ONE way, it comes with hard times along with the amazing times. I remember thinking preschool seemed forever away. But, reality ... it sure isn't. As a matter of fact, it is here now.

My baby monkey is four tomorrow. Four. His first words vanished into thin air, being replaced by sentences and emotions like I never imagined. I mean, really... who would have thought someone could talk more than I do? Well, folks, he can. Believe it.

As I type this, I look at my almost 4 year old and watch as he includes his baby brother in everything he does. He holds his hands behind Hudson as he climbs things, insuring he doesn't fall. He wipes his baby brother's tears when they fall, turns on his nightlight, helps find his Bob (sippy cup). My sweet baby is now the BEST big brother Hudson could ever ask for. There have many days I have doubted myself and my parenting. Today, as I watch him with his brother, I am reminded that he knows all those caring gestures because Mama taught him them. I smile. I smile knowing I must have done something right.

While the late night teething and rocking for hours might be just a memory, I'll hold it forever. I wouldn't change a single thing. Even on the worst of days, Jordan and I came together and did what was best for our baby ... no matter what. I can promise one thing, we always will put these sweet boys first.

Tomorrow, in honor of Layne's birthday, I will catch everyone up on what he is doing and the lovely phrases that now fill his vocabulary. Today, I wanted to reflect on this amazing journey that God blessed me with, being Layne's Mama.

Happy Last Day as a Three Year Old, my Sweet Monkey. Mama loves you, to the moon and the stars.











No comments:

Post a Comment