Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial - In Memory Of...

I'm hanging my head at the thought of three months going by without a single blog entry. However, I am back now, and I refuse to live in the past. (Like I how I used that to my advantage?)

Last night, the boys and I went to the local shaved ice stand for snow cones. Jealous, huh? They are amazing, and cheap... and CHEAP! On our way back, infamous Hudson dumped his all down himself in his car seat. I pulled over at the closest place, some rundown hotel. I cleaned him up and jumped back into the car to take off. As soon as I put it in park, I noticed three soda bottles on the dirt road ahead of us. My immediate thought seemed to match my darling veteran husband's, considering the bug eyes he was giving me. IED. I backed up and went another way, but the thought occurred to me... some families, civilians, will never have that fear. They would have ran over them, intentionally possibly. I don't share this for pity. As a matter of fact, just the opposite. I am proud of the fact that we are more aware of our surroundings. Although it can annoying at times, it could someday safe our lives.

The next thing I share is a feeling I did NOT share with sweet hubbyface. I took a silent moment in that car full of sugared up boys to feel so blessed that Jordan came home from Iraq. Blessed that if he did indeed see a soda bottle, it was just that.

Today, we are attending a cookout like many Americans. We will NOT forget to remember those who gave all so that we have the freedom to entertain neighbors, family, and friends on this day and many more. I am so THANKFUL that I am NOT honoring my husband on this day. He is after all, not a memory. He is here, alive, serving this county. That I am thankful for every. single. day.

Memorial day, we chose to honor those who have fallen before us, serving this beautiful country. May God be with their sweet precious families today and everyday. May he fill their hearts with so much pride.

There should be no guilt laid upon us for celebrating on this day with family, as long as you take at least a moment to realize and think about why you can. On Memorial Day, there is no need to thank a Veteran (although everyday is a good day to do so), but remember a fallen one.

No comments:

Post a Comment