Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Another Title for Mama

The description on my blog states the two titles that are so very dear to me, after of course being a Christian. As of 3:15 PM, yesterday, I have added another.... Police Wife. As many of you know, Jordan has been in the interview process for Crawfordsville and Indianapolis PD for almost a year now. Right, a year. 10 LONG months, to be exact. It has been one heck of a ride. From physicals, to hiring letters, BP issues, doctors appointments, last minute uniform purchasing.... it all lead up to yesterday at noon. As the boys and I were walking out the door, to run errands, Jordan receives a phone call. It was the Police Sergeant that he has been working in direct contact with at IMPD. It was the same Sgt that called just one week ago, one day before academy, to notify us of lack of financial agreement to send Jordan to academy the following day. Devastated. This time, however, the phone call was different. I could tell by the look on my sweet husband's face. He hung up, looked at me, and smiled. The Sgt had told him he needed to report in a suit to the City building in one hour, with a possibility to be sworn in at 3. Possibility, not a word this Mama likes to hear after this long process. Possibility also meant we didn't know if the little boys and I could be there to see him be sworn in, if he was indeed doing so. Jordan sent me to finish the errands, got dressed, and headed downtown.
 
 It wasn't thirty minutes later, he called saying he would officially be sworn in and that the boys and I could be there. I rushed home, got everyone cleaned up and dressed... they are boys, ya know? At noon, they were already too dirty to be presentable, let alone go to a formal swear in ceremony. I will never forget the excitement in Layne's voice on the way there. "Mom, daddy is gonna be a policeman?" "He is going to be a good policeman and get them bad guys." "Is he going to have a gun now?"
 
We had about an hour to spare, before the ceremony. We entertained the boys in a tiny conference room with Yo Ho (Jake and the Neverland Pirates) and Spiderman on the marvelous things known as smart phones. Thank you, Jesus. During that time, we were introduced and welcomed in the family by the Police Chief, Head of Police, other Police officers, and staff. Humbled. That would be the word to describe my feelings, at that moment.
 
When the Sgt came in, telling us it was time, I glanced over at my dear husband. He had worked so incredibly hard for this. He DESERVED this. We had prayed, cried, screamed, you name it, for this. And, now... it was here.
 
The ceremony was one of the most proud moments in my life. As I shushed Hudson, held Layne back from talking to the Chief, and recorded from my phone, tears rolled down my face. He was here, right where he wanted/needed to be. Even more, WE were here, as a FAMILY. Throughout this whole process, that's where we have been. When one us does something, we all do something. Our family was sworn in to the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, as of June 10th, 2014. We are so blessed and proud.
 
As announced in the Paper and online, Jordan was offered a conditional offer of employment with CPD, pending his physical. During that physical, his BP registered high, one the many things that cannot be off for this job. We truly were 50/50 deciding on which department to go with during this process. It was very much a yoyo effect, most of the time. My family is in Crawfordsville, the department is prenominal there, small town... STOP. That right there is what got us. For 5 years, we have loved the city life. We enjoy the YMCA, hockey, our neighbors, and everything being so close. Most of all, the different options for schooling for the boys is par none. For OUR FAMILY, Indy was the right choice. Not that it is a better department, or better officers, but it is BETTER for us.
 
"I cannot believe you would pick Indianapolis, with all the shootings that happen daily." - Said by soooo many people to us yesterday.
 
First of all, Jordan did a tour to Iraq. He worked in a terrorist prison, filled with cell after cell of people who wanted our soldiers killed. Someone has to do it. Someone with a passion to protect his family, this country, and others. Indy is not anymore dangerous than Crawfordsville, we just happen to have 15 news crews available at all times. If he was worried about the safety aspect, he probably wouldn't have chosen this career. Perhaps a secretary would have been a better route. THIS is his dream.
 
Defend and Protect. He will now do so in two ways, United States Army and Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department.

 

 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
Jordan Kelle,
I am proud beyond words. You inspire me in everything that you do. You NEVER give up, even when it seems like the only option. You are the biggest, and best role model for our sweet boys. God seriously did "Give me You." I will always be right here beside you, even when it means sewing pockets closed on shorts you need for the first day of academy... at midnight. I know this is the BEST Father's Day gift you could have received.
I love you and that's the beginning and end of everything.
 
-Your Wifey
 







No comments:

Post a Comment