Thursday, June 12, 2014

Dear Derek.

I am planning my baby sister's bridal shower. I asked her to send me all of the pictures she has of her and her fiancé. She doesn't know what I am doing with them, I can keep a secret ya know. ;) Anyways... I am going through them today, editing them, and working on what I have planned ... when it hit me. She is getting married. Married. As if that isn't enough... she is moving to Alaska. Does anyone know how far Alaska is? It is 3,635 miles from my front door to the Army gate. That is REALLY far away. Instead of being sad, I've decided to give her fiancé direct instructions, from her favorite sister. (ha.)
 
Without further ado...
 
Dear Derek,
 
She picked you. You picked her. Simple as that, right? We both know, definitely not. I know the journey you guys have had to get to this point. You deserve her just as much as she deserves you. I know that you know her pretty well, but I thought I would give you some pointers.
 
First and foremost, get a calendar of the full moons. Do NOT speak to her during one. Do NOT not speak to her during one. You will not win any argument during that time... or any ever really. Seriously, this full moon business is serious. She turns into some crazy cat woman lady. I can say this, because I do too.
 
When she gets mad and wants to be left alone, she really doesn't. Comfort her. Kiss her and tell her how beautiful she is. She can only be mad for so long. She is going to get mad, maybe daily... but only because she wants everything as perfect as possible for you.
 
Do NOT complain at a restaurant about your food, the time a waitress takes, etc... just eat the food. I've learned this one the hard way.
 
She will gladly accompany you to as many horror films and comedies as you want, just make sure to sneak in a love story here and there.
 
She is going to "try" to cook. Now, I'm not saying she is a bad cook... but, she needs experience, like all of us. I won't go into my meatloaf story, its embarrassing. (She can tell you.) Whether the food is cold, burnt, anything other than undercooked... just eat it. Be thankful you have someone who is trying as hard as she will.
 
Do all of these things and I promise you, she will love you like you have never been loved. She has the biggest heart of anyone I know and is finally ready to let someone in. You're that lucky someone.
 
Marriage is NOT easy, it is not a walk in the park. Some days flat out suck, but be there through the suck. It does get better and you will get stronger. You will get through everything, side by side.
 
Lastly, cherish her. Cherish getting to see her smile everyday. Cherish not being 3,635 miles away from her. Cherish her opinion and that she isn't afraid to say it. Cherish how much she loves you and loves your career. Cherish her love for this country and the pride she has that you defend it. Cherish her.
 
I don't need to warn you what happens if you hurt her. I'm sure it is pretty obvious. Business aside, welcome to this crazy, wild, loud, but oh so loveable family. We are so proud and happy to have you.
 
Your soon to be sister in law.
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment